WOODSTOCK, GA – Michael Page of Douglasville, GA only led one lap of the 40-lap ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series South East Region race on Saturday night at Dixie Speedway in Woodstock, GA, but it was the one worth $4,000. Page trailed race leader Jason Croft of Woodstock, GA for 39 laps, but went for broke on the 40th and final lap.
After taking the white flag, Page stepped to the outside of the Swims Family’s 3/8-mile clay oval and made it work as he swept around Croft going off turn two with a standing-room-only crowd on their feet in appreciation. Page then came on around to take a .730 second margin of victory under the checkered flag.
Croft had to settle for second, while third went to ULTIMATE SE point leader Tyler Millwood of Cartersville, GA, who was also the Autolite/Fram/DirtOnDirt.com Rookie of the Race.
Dale Thurman of Cartersville, GA finished fourth and Ross Bailes of Clover, SC was fifth.
Jason Hiatt of Oxford, AL drove to a sixth-place finish, and National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame Inductee Ronnie Johnson of Chattanooga, TN took the seventh spot. ULTIMATE title contender Jason Welshan of Maryville, TN finished eighth, Johnny Chastain of Murphy, NC was ninth, and Austin Smith of Rome, GA rounded out the top ten.
The defending ULTIMATE SE Champion Dennis “Rambo” Franklin of Gaffney, SC was the Hard Charger of the Race after taking a Provisional, starting 24th, and finishing 14th. Page also picked up a $200 Bonus as the M&W Transport “Haulin’ It” Fast Qualifier by out-timing the 31 entrants with a lap in 15.696 seconds. The two eight-lap B-Main Races were won by Smith and Gary McPherson of Dalton, GA.
Croft started the race from the pole position with Page on the outside of the front row. Croft took the lead, but the caution flag came out on the opening tour after Justin Shipley of Douglasville, GA hit the wall in turn one. Croft took the lead again on the restart with Page in hot pursuit. Frank Ingram of Acworth, GA stalled on the race track to bring out the second yellow flag on lap ten.
The field went back to green flag action with Croft leading and Page chasing for another ten laps before McPherson cut down a right-rear tire on lap 20. Croft was able to maintain a lead on Page after restart, but by lap 30, Page reached the back bumper of the race leader.
Croft seemed to have an advantage on Page in turns one and two; while Page seemed to have the better handling race car in turns three and four. When the leaders reached lapped traffic in the closing laps, Millwood closed in try to make it a three-car battle for the lead. Croft was trying to keep Page pinched down on the inside when he would try to make a run to challenge for the lead.
Anticipating Page to try for another inside run on the last lap, Croft tried to shut the door, but there was no one there. Page went to the outside in turns one and two, and then took the lead down the backstretch. Page then used his advantage in turns three and four to pull away to the $4,000 win.
The next race for the ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series will be a National Race at Volunteer Speedway in Bulls Gap, TN paying $12,000-to-win and $500-to-start on Thursday night, August 17.
The series will then move to Crossville Speedway in Crossville, TN on Friday night, August 18 for a $4,000-to-win, $400-to-start race co-sanctioned by the ULTIMATE SE Region and the ULTIMATE Battle of the Bluegrass Region.
Check out the official website for the ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series at www.ultimatesupers.com, and continue to follow our social media networks on Facebook at ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series and on Twitter @ULTIMATESupers to get up to the minute news and details as they become available.
OFFICIAL RESULTS OF ROUND 13 AT DIXIE SPEEDWAY IN WOODSTOCK, GA ON 7/29/17:
POS STRT CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN LAPS $ WON
1. 2 18 Michael Page Douglasville, GA 40 $4,000
2. 1 9 Jason Croft Woodstock, GA 40 $2,000
3. 5 31 Tyler Millwood Cartersville, GA 40 $1,350
4. 4 59 Dale Thurman Cartersville, GA 40 $1,000
5. 10 79 Ross Bailes Clover, SC 40 $875
6. 3 1h Jason Hiatt Oxford, AL 40 $775
7. 7 85 Ronnie Johnson Chattanooga, TN 40 $700
8. 8 29 Jason Welshan Maryville, TN 40 $600
9. 15 00 Johnny Chastain Murphy, NC 40 $500
10. 11 84 Austin Smith Rome, GA 40 $450
11. 14 X15 Shawn Chastain Murphy, NC 40 $425
12. 19 1 Brent Dixon Elberton, GA 40 $400
13. 16 3 Luther Jenkins Woodstock, GA 40 $400
14. 24 2 Dennis Franklin Gaffney, SC 40 $400
15. 17 25 David Daughtry Sydney, GA 40 $400
16. 18 00p Dalton Poston Douglasville, GA 40 $400
17. 20 92 Rodney Martin Cartersville, GA 39 $400
18. 12 29m Gary McPherson Dalton, GA 39 $400
19. 9 22 Will Roland Jasper, GA 22 $400
20. 21 421 Anthony Sanders Spartanburg, SC 11 $400
21. 13 66 Jake Knowles Rome, GA 9 $400
22, 22 24x Frank Ingram Acworth, GA 9 $400
23. 23 101 Casey Roberts Toccoa, GA 6 $400
24. 6 08 Justin Shipley Douglasville, GA 0 $400
M&W TRANSPORT “HAULIN’ IT” FAST TIME: Page, 15.696 Seconds
PROVISIONALS: Roberts and Franklin
LEAD CHANGES: 1
LAP LEADERS: Croft, 1-39; Page, 40
LAPS LED: Croft, 39; Page, 1
AUTOLITE/FRAM/DIRTONDIRT.COM ROOKIE OF THE RACE: Millwood
GENESIS SHOCKS AWARD: None (Award rolls over to $900 at next event)
HARD CHARGER: Franklin (started 24th and finished 14th)
MARGIN OF VICTORY: .730 Seconds
TIME OF THE RACE: 26 Minutes and 25.514 Seconds
NEXT RACE: August 17, Volunteer Speedway, Bulls Gap, TN, $12,000-to-win, $500-to-start.
M&W TRANSPORT “HAULIN’ IT” GROUP QUALIFYING (Top 5 Transfer To Main Event):
POS CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN TIME
1. 9 Jason Croft Woodstock, GA 15.853
2. 1h Jason Hiatt Oxford, AL 15.888
3. 31 Tyler Millwood Cartersville, GA 15.895
4. 85 Ronnie Johnson Chattanooga, TN 15.991
5. 22 Will Roland Jasper, GA 16.027
6. 84 Austin Smith Rome, GA 16.063
7. 66 Jake Knowles Rome, GA 16.087
8. 25 David Daughtry Sydney, GA 16.188
9. 00 Johnny Chastain Murphy, NC 16.194
10. 421 Anthony Sanders Spartanburg, SC 16.252
11. 81 Grainger Howell Kingston, GA 16.292
12. 3j Jeremy Ledford Mt. Airy, GA 16.325
13. 1 Brent Dixon Elberton, GA 16.445
14. 21 Shane Tankersley Morganton, GA 16.664
15. 77 Jason Garmon Woodstock, GA 17.263
16. 101 Casey Roberts Toccoa, GA 15.936 – DQ/LT
POS CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN TIME
1. 18 Michael Page Douglasville, GA 15.696
2. 59 Dale Thurman Cartersville, GA 15.809
3. 08 Justin Shipley Douglasville, GA 15.831
4. 29 Jason Welshan Maryville, TN 15.840
5. 79 Ross Bailes Clover, SC 15.932
6. 29m Gary McPherson Dalton, GA 15.995
7. 3 Luther Jenkins Woodstock, GA 16.119
8. X15 Shawn Chastain Murphy, NC 16.142
9. 92 Rodney Martin Cartersville, GA 16.167
10. 00p Dalton Polston Douglasville, GA 16.300
11. 24x Frank Ingram Acworth, GA 16.337
12. 4 Levi Hicks Murphy, NC 16.446
13. 2 Dennis Franklin Gaffney, SC 16.459
14. G9 Eric Grainger Dallas GA 16.583
15. 41 T.J. Reaid Acworth, GA 15.816 – DQ/LT
B-MAINS (8 Laps – Top 6 Transfer To Main Event):
1ST B-MAIN: 1. Smith; 2. Knowles; 3. J. Chastain; 4. Daughtry; 5. Dixon; 6. Sanders; 7. Ledford; 8. Tankersley; 9. Howell DNS; 10. Garmon DNS; 11. Roberts.
2ND B-MAIN: 1. McPherson; 2. S. Chastain; 3. Jenkins; 4. Polston; 5. Martin; 6. Ingram; 7. Franklin; 8. Hicks; 9. Grainger; 10. Reaid DNS.
The ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series would like to recognize their marketing partners for the 2017 season which include: American Racer, Hoosier Race Tires, VP Race Fuels, M&W Transport, PPM Racing Products, Arizona Sport Shirts, DirtonDirt.com, Big A’s Custom Graphics, AR Bodies, Five Star Race Bodies, Schaeffer’s Racing Oil and Lubricants, Autolite/Fram, RockAuto.com, Safecraft, Simpson, Genesis Shocks and Thomas Clarke Performance Web Design